After spending 25 years working in the big smoke in various diff salons from high end, high groom to low end spit and sawdust basements, Blackdog has come away to amalgamate all his years experience in the creation of Blackdog Haircutters. We cater to the style savvy kings and queens of Cornwall.
Opening our doors for the first time in Falmouth, Cornwall, March 2010, primarily as a barbers, Blackdog quickly gained popularity among the fair maidens of town. So much so that we opened two further floors late 2012; another cutting room and sweet colour room to boot.
Catering to both sexes, we have the style, cutting & shaving skills to match no other. The laid back lounge image that a certain customer is looking. The vibe and pulse that every salon should have. Blackdog found the majority of salons offer a bland grooming experience for both sexes of wall to wall mirrors, bright lights, cheesy music, peroxide smelling, hair drying hell.
Think of Blackdog as the Anti-hairdresser and you are getting close. Not everyone wants to be groomed, styled and faffed to death, to indulge in mindless weather and holiday chit chat. Some of you just want a spot on haircut, sipping a nice beverage, in a comfy place, listening to decent tunes whilst checking out some of your fave eclectic bits about the place.
‘Blackdog keeps it real by keeping it simple. It’s all about the ‘cut’ & colour; no messin’, no fussin’. Just top drawer results. Everyone is invited to come in, have a beer, kick back, relax, take it all in and let Blackdog do the rest.
Topdawg - Guy Clarke
Forty odd years in the makin’ this beast. And what a beast… Born in Calgary to the mother of Native Navajo Indian and father from Croyden (I know..), Gusto has always been a bit of a sponge for all things weird and interesting. Combine this with 25 years worth of high (and low) end salon jobs in the UK mixed with an unhealthy love of film, sport, fashion & music and, hey presto, you have Blackdog. Guy is your man when it comes to a fresh, cool and current cut, plus, there is nowt he loves more than indulging his clients with a top notch hot towel shave accompanied with the must have ice cold beer.
As Gusto is our master barber his cuts start at £20.. by ‘eck he’s worth it.
Please meet our ‘Golden Egg’ Hannah and, yes, she really is the BD Golden Egg. Hannah Cornish born and bred, worked her way up from an apprenticeship in Mullion to becoming the busiest and most loved member of her salon, so much so she was managing the place within a year!
Since moving over to Blackdog we’ve been blown away not only by her cutting and colour talent but her sweet and calm nature around the place, mixed with a true dark sense of humour..
Hannah is Wella colour trained where she can perform one of the best balayage in town and her free hand techniques are a cracker too and there’s nowt she loves more than performing creative colours on her lucky clients as well as hair up for those special occasions.
Hannah is a whizz on the clippers and scissor and comb on those long gent locks too, so, pop in, book online or call up for an appointment with Miss Hannah West, just ask for the Golden Egg!
Cornwall Salon Jobs
At Blackdog we’re always interested in hearing from talented folk who dig our ting.
Current Open Position/s:
Salon Manager/Stylist (accomodation provided)
Are you a salon manager, desp to get into a more creative environment where your thoughts and ideas are listened to and taken on board and actually put into practice? This could be just the job for you!
With Blackdogs growth and expansion we are seeking a highly skilled scissor, clipper and colour master/ess who can also manage our busy Falmouth branch. You will be running the day to day operation of the salon as well as staff, keeping abreast and advising of new styles and techniques but most of all we are BIG on customer care. Blackdog clients are very precious to us, we’ve nursed and built our style savvy clients carefully for 6 years and now are looking for a keen and caring, highly skilled and experienced individual who gets the BD culture, to take on the day to day operations from Guy and Luke. We envisage 50% working with clients and 50% salon management time. There is also a bad ass flat to accompany the role if you so wish!
Also seeking the following:
1 x Barber
1 x Stylist
1 x Colourist
We are also seeking keen as mustard Barber, Stylist and Colourist to join the BD pound. You will have a genuine interest in hair, fashion, music and film would be a bonus. Must be able to work at least 30 hours per week, Saturdays a must. We offer a super duper working environment and a place for you to express your artistic flair!
To apply to any of these roles pls email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a few lines why you wanna work at BD Towers. We would also require information on your current remuneration and what you are seeking.
Here’s what BD look for and can offer:
- If you are savvy with the trends of today, have good experience with scissor cuts and have worked on the shop floor we want to hear from you.
- A love of film, music & fashion is a huge bonus.
- The backbone to Blackdog is its vibe – the owner has an unhealthy obsession with Star Wars, Tron, Led Zeppelin and 45inch vinyls so if you have any of the above it can only be a good thing..
- Experienced in Hot Towel Shaving would be ace although not a deal breaker
What can we offer you?
Blackdog is confident won’t find a better place to work and here’s why:
- The ethos of our brand is the ‘anti-hairdresser’, so, if you are tired of the bland white-walled, wall to wall mirrored hairdressing experience of today, then Blackdog is the place for you
- You can wear what you so desire any day of the week. Tattoo’s, piercings and any other individuality is welcomed not shamed..
- Blackdog has a laid back vibe, an atmosphere where customers can kick back, relax, read a mag, listen to tunes and sip a beer whilst they wait.
- Blackdog encourages individuality all that we ask is that you are polite, courteous, have friendly banter with our clients and have a smile on your face. Other than that its pretty chilled.
- Full or part time hours but you must be available on a Saturday
- Great rates of pay as we believe that well paid staff equals happy campers
- The opportunity to work with an excellent group of trained and experienced male and female cutters all pulling together to work the ‘Blackdog way’
- Opportunity to progress into management role if you so wish. At Blackdog, we recognise hard work, dedication and commitment and like to reward accordingly with regular opportunity for promotion
- We encourage and value your ideas on any aspect of the business. Blackdog is a very collaborative environment…
Support with moving to Cornwall, if required, can be provided.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Blackdog is keen to share the BD love across the globe. BD has put plans in motion open further outlets of Blackdog Haircutters, nationally and internationally. So, if you love love love cutting edge style and fashion and people from all walks of life, have dreams to open your own barbers or salon, have several years shop floor cutting experience and have managed people before we’d love to hear from you.
Blackdog has the blue print to make your salon a winner from the first day you fling open those pound doors, with the support and experience you can rely on when you need it the most.
Having had Blackdog in Falmouth since 2010 we’ve been through the ups and downs so you don’t have to. You can learn from our experience first hand and we are here to give you the advice you need every step of the way from selecting a premises, to shop fit out and decoration, website design, selecting suppliers, back office, payroll, accounting, marketing and promotion and much much more. Remember, we have been there and back over the last 7 years and Blackdog is here to share the knowledge with you to enable you to have your own successful business.
For an informal fact finding, no strings chat please fill out the below form and Blackdog will be in touch with you soon: